Wow… I can’t believe that it is already the middle of July. This summer is flying by… hmmm… Time flies when you’re having fun is sooo true!
But the stark truth is that school IS around the corner, and even though we have the right to determine when we go back… it will come eventually. That’s why every good homeschooler knows to use the summer as a preparation time. Time to research new curriculum, time to gather supplies, and even time to reorganize. Yes, I am trying to enjoy my summer, get refocused, and inspired during our family’s summer hiatus… but I know I also have to use my time wisely. Here are a few tips for getting your homeschool organized and ready to roll come fall…
1) Go through your existing curriculum… if there is some you know you won’t ever use, sell it on ebay. This is great for making room for curriculum that you will use and benefit from!
2) Go through your supplies and your children’s schooling area. In our family we use “tubs” like little lockers for all their “stuff.” Needless to say, these tubs get very disorganized and well… filled with plain old junk! I go through them and see what supplies the kids have that are useful and what I need to buy for fall.
3) Organize your school area to maximize learning. Think about how your family learns. Are they visual learners, auditory learners… set up your school room to reflect this. Also, it is a proven fact that children learn better in rooms that are NOT CLUTTERED. Clutter is a distraction and as we all know – children do not need to be distracted! 😉
4) Review last year, take a look at how the children achieved, review what worked what didn’t, and map out a plan of improvement for the coming year. Did your kids struggle with homeschool math or math vocabulary? Begin a search for a better curriculum. Do they have any gaps? Find a means of filling those gaps, and make a list of what you need to do that.
5) Begin to purchase any “new curriculum” you need from the list you made. Amazon, ebay, and other used book websites are super for gathering homeschool texts at a discounted price!
CHECK BACK LATER FOR THE REMAINING 5 TIPS!