As a parent of six children, I truthfully cannot imagine our life without homeschooling. Yes, I know just from those few words I fit the “norm” of the weird – unsocialized- homeschool mom. For many that has been the big dividing line for homeschoolers – the opinion that others have of them. Which often these opinions aren’t based on any facts. Yet, in reality homeschooling is becoming more and more popular. People are turning to homeschooling by the hundreds, and the homeschool statistics are still rising. There are millions in America today that claim homeschooling as the method of educating their children, I believe that the following reasons have a direct correlation to this trend!
1) Desire for a safe school environment. (27% of homeschoolers cite this as their reason to homeschool)
2) Moral and religious reasons. The moral fabric of our nation is undoubtedly deteriorating and our children are the most susceptible. The homeschool movement was greatly propelled by this reason to homeschool, and still to this day the statistics reveal that 78% of homeschool parents attend church regularly. (21%)
3)Dissatisfaction with academic instruction (19%)
4) People who move around alot, or who travel extensively – this includes the military. I’ve been surprised to see just how many military families have chose homeschooling!
5) Health issues are often another motivating reason to homeschool.
6) Freedom to learn at one’s own pace- or to provide a non-traditional form of education. (5%)
7) Special education and the ability to educate without stigma. (5%)
8) Financial reasons
9) A desire to have more family time.
10) For all of the above reasons!